About Us

Welcome to Farmington Vol. Fire Dept.

The Farmington Vol. Fire Dept. was formed shortly after January 1st 1947 due to the loss of valuable property at a structure fire along Route 40 in Wharton Township.

With the closest Fire dept. several miles away, and the roads covered with snow and ice, the house was burning out of control. Also, due to sub-zero weather, the firemen were unable to start the pumps to get water to the fire.However the fire caused a bit of discussion among the mountain residents.

Charles Gorley donated $200.00 toward the start of a Fire Department. A meeting was held at the Wharton Township Hunting & Fishing Club on February 13, 1947. Thirteen men were present and all agreed to form the Farmington Vol. Fire Dept. Names were selected as Harvey VanSickle was named the President and Thomas Parnell was named the Fire Chief. Since it was Charles Gorley who got the Dept. started, he was made an Honorary Member. On July 15th 1947, twenty-two names of those who registered were written on the Charter. However, after July 15, 1947 there were 90 men enrolled in the Fire Dept.

The first firefighting equipment consisted of a Gorman-Rupp fire pump, 200' of 1 1/2" inch hose, and two sections of hard suction. Two small trailers were purchased; one to haul the pump and hose, the other to haul 250 gallons of water. Each man installed a hitch on the back his vehicle to haul the trailer. On September 15th 1947, Mr. & Mrs. Delbert Rush donated the 60'X 175' lot, on which the men constructed a 30'x 60' building. In 1978 an additional 40'x120' truck bay was added. The Dept. has emerged from its humble beginnings, the current fleet consists 6 vehicles , as well as 40 active members, which (16) are certified to Firefighter 1, we also have 25 contributing members.

The Department began as a proud organization back in 1947, and remains just as proud today!

It is the hope of this dept. that the residents of Wharton Township and the surrounding communities are also proud of this Fire Department.


© 2019 Farmington Vol. Fire Dept.